I think we all, at one point or another, have trouble with mornings. I've discovered I have no trouble waking up early when I have plans to bake and cook. But when I need to wake up to hit the gym, I am less than enthused. My bed somehow feels the comfiest on those mornings.
And sometimes coffee just does not cut the cord, and you need something more potent...
These muffins are what you need.
a ZING from the tart cranberries
a POW from the wake-you-up ginger
a KICK from the vitamin-C chocked oranges
an OUF from the iron-rich whole wheat flour
Basically, these muffins are bound to kick start your day the right way.
It is also a pleasant coincidence they taste extraordinary. Very pleasant indeed!
Kick-Ass Wake-Up Muffins
Ingredients:- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fine cornmeal
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (or softened butter)
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp almond extract
- juice of one orange (about 1/4 cup)
- 1-2 tsp orange zest (from one orange)
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries (and if you're really in a stitch, you can add dried)
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
Directions1. Preheat oven to 350F and line your muffin pan.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the coconut oil, yogurt, milk, and almond extract. Stir just until combined, then add the orange zest and juice. Stir in the grated ginger and cranberries.
3. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the tops bounce back when you press the tops lightly. Tranfer to a cooling rack until they cool completely.