How is it that, when I was an undergrad, I managed to workout 4-5 days a week no-problem? And now, getting in a measly two workouts a week is draining. It literally sucks the energy out of me. I refuse to think this is because I am getting older or becoming a lazy sloth, because working out still makes me feel better and more confident. It must be a lack of energetic foods. It must be!
So, in search of my misplaced energy, I turned to the internet. Am I eating my meals to early/late? Am I eating too much carbs/gluten/fat/protein/fiber? Is the timing off between when I fall asleep and the time I wake up? Am I deficient in vitamins?
Forget this! There is only contradicting information on the internet.
I decided to make this simple: I need a snack (who doesn't?) that provides healthy energy to get me through my workout and my day. It also had to taste good and be easy to make. So I whipped together these banana-oatmeal-dark chocolate balls of deliciousness, and ultimately became superwoman.
Okay, these energy bites didn't necessarily make me lift heavier weights or bike faster, but they did make me feel that I was doing my body good. And they made the rest of my day seem a little less grey.
So if you are looking for a pre/post/prep workout snack, these are perfect.
Or, if you don't want to workout but you want to feel the benefits of healthy treats, then these are perfect as well! Enjoy!
Banana Chocolate Cookies
Ingredients:- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1.5 cups large flake oatmeal
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
Directions:1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a bowl, mash the bananas and then add the oatmeal. Stir until well coated, and then stir in the chocolate chips.
3. Drop by tablespoons onto a greased cookie sheet (don't worry about spacing them apart, they won't spread out) and bake for 8-10 minutes or just until they begin to brown around the edges.
4. Allow to cool slightly before removing them from the pan.
What is your favourite pre/post/prep workout snack? Let us know by commenting below!