Yesterday I spend a lazy day with Ben with a park picnic and gelatto. But then, during our post-lunch stroll, I saw that La Canadienne was having an amazing shoe sale and I caved: I bought two pairs! They are both beautiful shoes, and we celebrated by enjoying Portuguese tarts on a terrace. After all those purchases and all that sugar, all we could muster for dinner was a nice cool salad.
But a leafy green salad can sometimes be, well, boring. So we went creative and created a dressing made with the lone avocado in the fridge. Allow me to introduce to you the in-season green bean and cherry tomato, both which are in full abundance at the market right now, topped with a deliciously light yet creamy avocado dressing.
We then topped the vegetables with cold chickpeas for added texture and a nuttiness... yum!
This avocado dressing is not only fast and simple, but it is a simplified version of guacamole so you know it will be delicious. It has a touch of garlic, lemon juice, and salt, and is appealing to even picky eaters!
So go ahead, forget the leafy greens and make this quick and delicious avocado dressing for your crunchy vegetable salads!
Ingredients:- 1 lb green beans, trimmed and rinsed.
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
- 1 avocado
- 1 clove of garlic, smashed and chopped finely
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper, to taste
- chickpeas for serving, chilled
Directions:1. Steam the green beans for about 1-2 minutes, and then immediately submerge in ice cold water.
2. Meanwhile, prepare your avocado dressing by mashing the avocado pulp with the back of a fork. Stir in the garlic, oil, and salt. Add a bit of water if your mixture is still too thick.
3. Prepare your plate by lining up your green beans, topping them with the tomatoes. Season with black pepper if desired, and then top with your avocado dressing.
4, Serve alongside a bowl of chickpeas for guests to serve themselves.