Part One of Yielding with Yeast is pizza crust! I can proudly say that it turned out beautifully, and the recipe was done in 30 minutes! Can't beat that. I will also add, once you make your own pizza crust... it is next to impossible to eat pizza any other way! I mean, I admittedly eat "homemade pizza" on pita bread. Which is totally delicious in it's own way (let's be honest, I will probably eventually put a post about pita bread pizza), but nothing like real, fluffy, light, chewy, crispy-edged homemade pizza crust.
You may notice that there are two different pizzas in this picture. The one above was my second pizza, very beautifully round and slightly golden around the edges.. much more aesthetically pleasing than my first (the one below)! But, both absolutely delicious.
Best part? You get to put whatever toppings you want.
|Pizza tossing also takes practice.. this picture is from pizza one...|
|... And this one is pizza no.2! Much rounder and prettier. Getting the hang of it!|
Effortless Pizza Dough, Homemade!
Ingredients:- 1 packet of instant yeast
- 1 cup warm water (NOT boiling)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 and 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- whatever toppings you like! For the pizza in these pictures, I did tomato sauce, roasted onions, yellow cherry tomatoes, roasted chicken, and mozzarella.
Directions:1. Proof your yeast by mixing the warm water, sugar, and yeast together in a bowl. Allow to sit for about 5 minutes, until bubbles form on the top (proving that your yeast is still active).
2. Mix together the flour and salt in a large bowl. Add oil and the yeast mixture. Mix it all together by hand or with an electric mixer until it forms a very soft dough.
2. Stir in the whole wheat flour about 1/2 cup at a time. It will begin to look more like dough now! Knead it gently with your hands, you can do it right in the bowl (I floured my hands first), and then place it in a warm place covered with either plastic wrap or a tea towel. Allow it to sit for 15-20 minutes to expand.
3. Preheat oven to 375F. Take half the dough, and spread it out on a pizza pan until it is about 12inches in size. You are welcome to bake both halves, but if you just want to do one pizza at a time, store the second ball of dough in plastic wrap and in the fridge.
4. Top with your favourite toppings, and then bake for about 15 minutes. It's best if you broil it for the last minute or two, to make the top golden brown.
Each pizza serves 2 (or one REALLY hungry person!)
Recipe adapted from the blog Pinch of Yum