We all have those black-brown bananas that sit in our freezer for weeks/months... peacefully waiting for us to use them in our favourite banana treat. Although I have already posted about chocolate chip banana bread in a bundt pan, I thought it was about time we try a unique type of banana bread! So, I made a loaf but added rum and coconut. You know, just to see how it would turn out.
This is like revolutionized banana bread. The delicious bread is full of bananas and not too sweet, studded with little bits of coconut for added texture and flavour. Although the recipe doesn't use much, the delicious taste of butter mingles on your tongue. The delicate scent of rum wafts in the aftertaste, mixing with the coconut and banana. The toothsome coconut crumble that crowns the loaf consists of slightly caramelized brown sugar and large, crispy flakes of coconut. The perfect textural contrast and the most complimentary of flavours.
Oh, and just as a side note.. aside from all these amazing flavours, this bread is actually quite healthy AND a perfect pre-workout snack. It isn't often you hear about alcohol-scented things before hitting the gym, but this is the perfect balance of fuctose and glucose in order to power you through your cardio session.
But let's be real: no matter what you choose to do before/after, this loaf is delicious.
Banana Coconut Bread with Rum
Ingredients:- 1 cup whole wheat flour (or all-purpose)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp rum extract
- 3-4 large overripe bananas (I like to mash half, and slice the other half. This way you get yummy bits of bananas throughout the loaf!)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp canola oil (or butter)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup large flake coconut
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
Directions:1. Preheat oven to 350F, and line a loaf tin with parchment paper. In a medium size bowl mix the flours, baking soda, and salt.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and vanilla, then incorporating the sugar. Add the extracts and mashed bananas. Continue whisking while adding the butter. Try to stir quickly so as to not have the butter form large clumps (if it does, it isn't the end of the world).
3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and then fold in the shredded coconut.
4. Pour batter into the prepared loaf tin. Mix all ingredients for the streusel topping and distribute evenly over the top of the loaf
5. Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow the bread to cool for at least one hour before slicing
Enjoy! Serves 12.